If you want to create a reputation for yourself online, then a blog is one of the best ways to attract attention over the Web. You can start a blog on just about any topic. You can establish yourself as an expert on a common subject like video games or making money. You can also be a blogger on a more obscure topic, such as on the best pruning methods for a bonsai tree.
Building a Blog from the Ground Up
Anyone can start a blog, but very few can build a base of loyal and returning readers. There are thousands of inactive blogs on the Internet. Most people will give up after just a few posts and let their blogs gather dust. Aside from consistently posting, you also have to invest work outside the blog to attract readers. You will also have to keep your blog interesting to keep readers returning.
How to Keep Readers Returning
There are some simple ways you can keep your readers coming back for more. If you are using your blog for commercial purposes, then it is those returning readers who will most likely buy your products or sign up for your service. Follow these tips to ensure that your readers return on a consistent basis.
1. Keep posting – This is the most obvious. If your readers consistently visit your blog and do not see any updates, then they will look elsewhere.
2. Keep your posts relevant – Always stay on topic. Your readers are at your blog because they want information. Keep your posts brief and to the point. They are not going to like it if they have to read through a bunch of filler words to get to your main point.
3. Find the balance between formality and casualness – Remember that you are not writing a professional paper. Using too formal of a tone will put off some readers. With blog writing, you can be a little more casual and inject your own personal views.
4. Your posts should be easy to comprehend – If at any point, your readers have to look up a dictionary while reading your post, then you need to ease up on the vocabulary. You are writing for a general audience, not for an English professor.
5. Add Visuals – No matter how good your content is, a blog that is nothing but text is boring to look at. Add a few pictures or embed a video to give the blog a better aesthetic appeal.
6. Encourage comments and always reply to questions – Make every effort to interact with your readers. Let them know that you are interested in what they think by asking them to comment. If they ask a question, then be sure to reply back.
7. Get your readers involved – Sometimes, you can request a poll or ask your readers what kind of topic they would like to read from you. Not only will this give you more ideas for future posts, but it will also make your readers feel that you are interested in their opinions.
8. Use social networks – Try to establish a relationship with your readers outside your blog. One way to do this is by asking them to add you as a friend on a social network site. You can start your own group through the social network on the same topic as your blog. Encourage your readers to join.
No successful blog was built overnight. It takes dozens of posts and networking to get people to take notice. By following a few simple tips and by being consistent, your blog will eventually attract a strong following of readers who will return on a continual basis.
About the Author: Sam is a blogger himself and also has a background in lead acquisition, specifically working with Fullbeaker.com FHA leads.